Nottinghamshire Contents


A Description of the Villages and Parish

Langar-cum-Barnston Parish lies betwixt the Smite rivulet and the Leicestershire border, and includes the neighbouring villages and lordships of Langar and Barnston, which form but one manor and township, containing 315 inhabitants and 3,820 acres of strong fertile land, partly on red marl, but principally upon the lias limestone. The arable land has been drained about 18 inches deep. It is a freehold and tithe-free estate, all of which belongs to John Wright Esq., except three farms in Barnston, and 400 acres allotted to the rector at the enclosure, in lieu of tithes.

Langar is a small but pleasant and well-built village, and has been consideranly improved by the present lord of the manor. It lies 4 miles south by east of Bingham. Thoroton, in 1677, says Langar Hall, and nearly the whole of the parish, have lately become the estate of Mr Howe, who made a convenient park of the closes around the mansion, and stocked it well with deer. The hall was subsequently nearly all rebuilt, and ornamented with a handsome portico and pediment, with six lofty Ionic pillars the height of the house, which is in three storeys, but is now unoccupied, and a great deal of it has been taken down since it was puchased by the present lord of the manor, John Wright Esq., who bought it in 1818 of the late Lord Howe, and has since divided the Park, and cut down all its fine timber. It was the seat of the late gallant Admiral Howe who, in 1792, succeeded the brave Rodney as Vice-Admiral of England. He (Richard Howe) was the fourth Viscount Howe, in Ireland, and was created Viscount Howe of Langar in 1782, and Baron Howe of Langar, and Earl Howe, in 1788. He seldom visited his seat of Langar Hall, for his time was his country's, and during a long course of active service, he gained the most illustrious naval honours. He died, universally regretted, in 1799, when his title became extinct, except the Barony, which devolved on Sophia Charlotte, his eldest daughter and co-heiress, who married Pen Asheton Curzon, afterwards created Viscount Curzon, which title descended to their son and heir, Richard William Pen Asheton Curzon, who sold this estate in 1818, and was created Earl Howe in 1821. The Hall was entirely taken down a few years ago, and a modern farm house built on the site.

Barnston is a hamlet and chapelry, 1 mile east by north of Langar and 4 miles south-south-east of Bingham, and contains 135 inhabitants and 1,386 acres of land, The houses occupy an eminence which commands an extensice view of the Vale of Belvoir.

Descent of the Manor

In the Conqueror's time, the villages were of the fees of William Peveril and Walter D'Ayncourt, and were afterwards held by the families of Rodes, Tibetot, Scrope and Howe, of the latter of whom they were purchased by their present proprietor in 1818.

Religious History and the Church

The church at Langar stands near the Hall, and consists of a nave and two side aisles, with a tower and a ring of five bells. It is dedicated to St Andrew, and contains many beautiful monuments of the Lords Scrope &c., particularly one dated 1609, which is ornamented in the richest sepulchral style. The recumbent figures are all in excellent preservation. Here also are busts of the two Lords Howe, who died in 1712 and 1724. It was anciently appropriated to Lenton and Thurgarton Priories, but is now a rectory, in the patronage of Francis Wright Esq., and valued in the King's books at £10 7s 11d, now £208. The Rev. Thomas Butler M.A. is the rector. The feast is held on the second Sunday after Whit Sunday.

The chapel at Barnston is a small building, with a short tower and two bells, and is annexed to the rectory of Langar. This, we suppose, is the remains, or rather the successor of the ancient chapel of St Atheburga, or St Aubrey which, Thoroton says, stood in the fields of Langar, and was considered as partly belonging to Granby church, with which ot was goven to Thurgarton Priory. The feast here is on the Sunday after Whit Sunday.


In 1842, a neat school, with a house for the mistress, was erected. It is supported by subscription and the children's pence.

White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853

Population Table










Church Records








Held at















[Last updated: Monday, 23nd June 1997 23:21 BST - Clive Henly]

© Copyright C.R.G. Henly 1997